Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Hogle Zoo... home to bees that sting!

Day 2 with Dad included lunch at Denny's and the afternoon at the zoo. I have to make note of the funniest thing said at lunch. Now, I haven't spent much time with Anona and her kids. They are a lot of fun. They are all close and mess with each other all the time. Mostly teasing my dad. Somehow, we got talking about the first time they met my dad. Jen was saying how at first she thought my dad was a creep because her mom did too at first. She said they were going on a four wheeler ride and Anona said that my dad could not go because he was a creep. haha He ended up going and she got to know him and thought he was ok after that. I was laughing that they thought he was a creep. And Dad was even laughing. He gets that a lot. hahahaha Then Kortney said the best thing ever. She said when he left the first time he came over she was like "Who was that creepy gay guy?" I about lost it! I was cracking up!!! You have to know my dad to know that this is really REALLY funny. My dad is not gay. Creepy, maybe. haha And it wouldn't be hard to think he is gay sometimes. I think this was the first time my dad heard this story himself. He actually seemed embarrassed which doesn't happen often. Kortney's cousin Chase was there and thought he was creepy too. Chase hid Kortney's wallet and told her that "Creepy Guy" probably stole it before he finally gave it back to her. This was one of the funniest stories I have ever heard about my dad aka The Creepy Gay Guy!
Jen, Mike, and Jax walking in to the zoo.

Just as we came out of the very first monkey exhibit (by the lion drinking fountain), I got stung by a wasp TWICE right under my eye! This picture is right after it happened and believe it or not I was fighting back tears. I couldn't cry in front of my dad without knowing I would be teased the rest of my life. I have been stung before, but I don't remember it hurting this bad! It stung SO BAD and immediately started swelling. My first thought was "I hope I'm not allergic." My Grandpa Newell is extremely allergic to bees. My dad was with him the first time he got stung (right by his eye) and he had a major allergic reaction. So, when I told my dad I got stung he was freaking out just a little bit. haha He kept asking me if I was ok, if I could see, if I felt funny, "You better take some Benadryl right now". After a few more minutes of swelling I decided to listen and take the Benadryl. I was definitely not allergic like Grandpa. Thank God!

Kortney in the Madagascar exhibit.

Jen and Mike

Align Center
Jax and Big Lar


Turtles/Tortoises are my favorite animal in all the land.

Kort and Me

They are all amazed watching the size of elephant poop fall out of the elephant's bum:) Seriously.

I love all the new exhibits they have remodeled at Hogle Zoo over the past few years.

Monkeys

Bears

Penguins

Jen's favorite are the zebras.

Kodak Moment ~ Checking the pits!

If you go to the zoo in the summer you will see lots of sleeping animals. Look how cozy they look.




Kortney had heard that giraffe's have purple tongues and couldn't wait to see for herself what color they were. We found out they are dark blue to prevent them from getting sun burned.


Still hurts and still swelling.


The boys taking pictures of the friendly monkey.

How funny is this?! He smiled at me!

Me and the cute turtles:)

This little guy was just like Murphy. He was running and running and suddenly stopped and stretched all four legs and just laid there.



Jen must be remembering when she got pooped on by a bird in this exhibit.

Gotta love the giant tortoise!

It was so hot and we were very thirsty.

Kort

Me

Creepy Gay Guy


The famous lion drinking fountain.

Did I mention we were really thirsty?

Riding the train!

Notice my swollen cheek. My eye felt like it was swelling completely shut. It still hurt so bad! The swelling has gone down, but I can still see a small circle that is swollen and it's still a little tender. Anyone know if that's normal? It's been 6 days now!

Note to Self: Don't call Dad "Mike" around the kids unless you want Jax to tell you off. "Mike" is Jen's boyfriend. Dad is "Big Lar".

2 comments:

Papworth's said...

Good ol' hogle zoo! I remember going there all the time as a kid. I also remember going with Mr. Staker for biology! Good times! So sorry you got stung! I've never been stung, knock on wood, and since I haven't, I'm terrified of those darn things! Hope it's all better now.

Sam and Mandy Noel said...

Hello from Argie! Love all the fun pictures. Sad about the mean bees. Love you!