Monday, July 14, 2008

O Canada...Day 4 and 5

I realized that I hadn't posted about my new glasses yet, so here it is in the middle of Canada. I knew that I need glasses, especially when I've been driving lately. I can't see the signs very well, until I'm right in front of them. Totally annoying. So, I made an appointment before I left, so that I could have them for driving here. Well here they are. I chose some with a little bling on the sides. I think they're fun. Didn't want to just do the boring ugly ones.

Before

After
That's me trying to look smart, but I think my face turned retarded. haha Oh well.

Ok, so Day 4... Luke got up early and went to practice. I slept in and got ready late. We had lunch and went back downtown to see some sights. Luke's caddy, Dave, had showed him around before I got there. So, Luke took me to see some of what he already saw. We parked and went in through one of the buildings. Here in Edmonton all the downtown buildings are connected, because it gets so cold most of the year. The bottom 3 floors of the office buildings are like a mall. I liked the stores here a lot better than the other mall. They have all types of stores, everything a typical mall would have, but also dollar stores, and drug stores, and of course plenty of places to eat and coffee shops. We also got to see the Street Festival. I believe they are here for about 10 days. There are just a bunch of street performers that travel around together and do their show and people throw money at them. I think I might have a new career plan. ;)

Awww, how cute we are! haha

This guy fascinated me... Not necessarily his show, but he may be the strangest, ugliest human ever. I think he could be related to Mike Meyers. I couldn't get over how weird he was. He was balancing this orange thing on string between to wooden handles. It has a name I'm sure, but I didn't pay attention.
Here's a fuzzy picture of his "beauty" closer up.

Here he is on his unicycle.

This one was a magic show. They had a bunch of shows going at once. We walked around and saw a little of everything.

After the festival, we went on a search for an old fashioned style razor. Luke goes through these different obsessions. They last awhile, then he moves on. Well, right now its shaving. We stopped at an antique store, because for the life of us we could not find a cutlery store or anywhere else that might sell one. We looked in every store we went to. Anyways, the antique store was kinda fun. I don't think either one of us has really been in a store like this. We did find a couple razors, but didn't buy one. I couldn't believe that an "Antique store" would have so many things from my childhood. I'm not THAT old! We were both laughing and showing each other things we used to play with. I guess I'll be saving my kids things, and making money off them later. The one thing I saw that I couldn't believe the price on was a Super Nintendo game... MarioKart was $45! What the... They had tons of Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Nintendo64 and even Atari games. So, as nerdy as antique shopping in Canada sounds, we actually had a good time. Luke is not a shopper, and he even walked through every aisle.

Luke went back to the room to shower. I had him drop me off at a gift and garden store by the hotel that I wanted to see before we left. Mom, I wanted to get you everything, but Canada is a bit pricey. Luke's caddy, Dave, invited us to dinner at Century Grill with he and his wife, and another couple. Now, this may have been the best dinner I have ever had. I ordered a Spinach Salad, which I was a little nervous about the sun-dried tomato vinagrette dressing, but I told myself to jump out of my box and live a little. haha I am SO glad I did! It was excellent! I ordered the salmon, which was wrapped in bacon. The flavor was the best thing my mouth has ever tasted. WOW! It was a fun night with great food and company. Thanks!

The next few pictures are of the city as we drove in and out.

You can't see this very well, but those pyramid things in the distance are greenhouses. Luke told me that they have all kinds of plants from around the world there.

Edmonton


Day 5

We drove and drove and drove. We left at 7 am and got here at 10:30 pm! We did gain an hour, but that is still 14 and a half hours of road time. Holy crap were we tired.

Luke didn't know I was taking this picture of him I was actually trying to get him and the scenery, but of course we passed a hill right as I took it.

These bright yellow fields fascinated me, ever since flying into Edmonton. I thought they were so pretty. I loved the color. I had to ask what they were. They are Canola Fields. Ya know, Canola Oil... This is where it comes from.

One of the many bridges we drove over. Most of the trip was very flat. I expected more mountains and forests. It was pretty though. We even saw some buffalo, deer, elk, lots of ducks and birds, a dead porcupine and skunks.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK I have to say these are the cutest pictures of you!!! You are beautiful!! And your glasses are very cute on you. Oh yeah, and Luke is pretty cute too. Or should I say handsome? Still loving the blogs! Be safe and have fun. Love you lots! Mom

Jess and Augest said...

Hey Nickilious, it looks like you are having a blast. Good for you! Keep posting photos! How's the weather? Love ya! Augest

Sam and Mandy Noel said...

I love the new glasses! They look so cute on your face. Sweet pictures!

Unknown said...

Nicki-
Hey there! Wow! I am so glad you found me! I knew you guys all had blogs, but I didn't know the addresses! That is so wierd that you are cousins with Zach. It is a small world!

Chris said...

Nicki, I am ashamed i never thought of looking at your blog this past while. But i just got off the phone with Luke and thought i would check it out. I am looking forward to meeting you tonight and both you and Luke to meet the girls. I hope this terrible winnipeg weather isnt keeping you in too much.
See you later
Chris.

those were great pictures by the way!